BROOKLYN COLLEGE LIBRARY ARCHIVES
AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
Accession Number #88-021
Dr. Max A. Luria (1892-1966) earned his bachelor’s,
master’s, and doctorate degrees from Columbia
University. His first position was teaching Spanish
at DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx, New York,
between 1914 and 1926, after which he taught both at
City and Hunter Colleges.
Increasingly, Dr. Luria’s interest was piqued
by and his research concentrated on the study of (Spanish)
Ladino dialects, specifically the Judeo-Spanish dialect.
In fact, he would describe it in A Study of the Monastir
Dialect of Judeo-Spanish based on Oral Material collected
in Monastir, Yugo-Slavia [1930, Paris]. He also published
Lecturas elementales, con ejercicios (with drawings
by Herbert Deland Williams) [1922, MacMillan Co.], New
Dr. Max Luria joined Brooklyn College the year it was
founded, in 1930. He taught in the Romance Languages
Department from 1930 until 1959 (it would eventually
be renamed the Department of Modern Languages). Between
1953 and 1954, Dr. Luria was a Fulbright lecturer in
English at the University of Athens.
Dr. Max A. Luria died in 1966 at his home in Brooklyn,
New York. His wife, Fannie Edna Werfel, survived him.
Biographical Note | Scope and Content Note
| Container Holdings | Home
to Master List